An online MBA in environmental management is designed for individuals who want a comprehensive business administration education at the graduate level but have a particular interest in or desire to work in a green industry such as clean energy.
- 1 What Does an MBA in Environmental Management Cover?
- 2 Getting Into an Environmental Management MBA Program
- 3 Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Environmental Management MBA?
- 4 Who Should Pursue an Online Environmental Management MBA?
- 5 What Jobs Can an Online Environmental Management MBA Get Me?
- 6 Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- 7 How Do I Find Online Environmental Management MBA Programs?
- 8 Additional Resources:
What Does an MBA in Environmental Management Cover?
An online MBA in environmental management is a challenging graduate program that can typically be completed in two years of full-time study. Some programs are organized to take less time or are accelerated so that students can finish their degrees more quickly. Students who opt to attend the program part time will generally take longer than two years to finish it. An online Environmental Management MBA provides students with a thorough business administration education based on strong core courses, such as financial accounting, financial management, operations management, business law and ethics, marketing management and information systems for managers. Students must also take three to five classes directly related to environmental management to fulfill the specialization requirement.
Such courses might include: Environmental/Energy Law and Policy, Environmental Auditing, Business and Climate Change, Clean Tech Entrepreneurship and Environmental Economics. Rounding out the rest of your classes in an online Environmental Management MBA program will be foundational ones that introduce you to the graduate program and electives in business administration. A key component of most online Environmental Management MBA programs is a capstone project, which requires students to apply the knowledge they have gained to a real-world situation. Qualitative and/or quantitative research may be a component of your capstone project. Some online Environmental Management MBA programs require or encourage an internship.
Getting Into an Environmental Management MBA Program
Students who desire to enroll in an online Environmental Management MBA program will need to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Students do not necessarily need to have had experience in business or environmental studies, though taking some courses in sustainability and foundations of business before applying can help increase your chances of admission. All applicants should also have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.0, as is the case with Ashford University. Those with a GPA lower than the minimum accepted average may be asked to submit GMAT or GRE scores. Some schools, such as Walden University, may mandate that additional forms be submitted for consideration as well, including letters of recommendation, an essay of program intent and a resume detailing work experience.
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Environmental Management MBA?
It’s important to make sure that the school you choose is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The AACSB is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to advancing quality management education and serves as an accreditor for undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs in business and accounting. With accreditation from the AACSB, you can rest assured that you are enrolled in a business school that offers quality MBA programs instead of a degree mill that cranks out easy classes and worthless diplomas.
Who Should Pursue an Online Environmental Management MBA?
Online Environmental Management MBA programs are excellent preparation for people who want to transition into the business field and for current business professionals who want to move up in their company or transition into green-collar careers. People who want to start their own business in clean energy could also benefit from the courses in an online Environmental Management MBA program. Even though this degree is specialized, with courses that provide direct preparation for green businesses, this MBA program is versatile enough to also help you enter careers outside of environmental management.
Online MBA in Entrepreneurship: Programs Accredited Rankings
Masters in business administration online Programs : Accredited Rankings
Top 5 Online MBA Acquisitions Programs : Accredited Rankings
What Jobs Can an Online Environmental Management MBA Get Me?
- Corporate Sustainability Manager: Corporate sustainability managers are responsible for determining the best ways to structure company operations in a sustainable and environmentally sound way. Sustainability managers will investigate the inner workings of a company and determine whether it is operating in a fashion that will be sustainable in the future, or if it is using resources that are close to running out or methodologies that are currently harming the environment. The sustainability manager is concerned with a company’s impact on the environment and how its operations are affecting its capacity for growth. They will come up with plans to increase efficiency and profit while decreasing negative and careless environmental impacts.
- Energy Efficiency Finance Manager: These professionals work with companies and organizations that are involved in implementing energy efficient structures or products. An energy efficient finance manager must have an in-depth understanding of finance and business practices as well as an awareness of the energy efficiency industry. These managers will work with organizations to help them reach their efficiency goals in a manner that works within their budget. They may provide independent consultation or work on staff to help cut companies’ costs.
- Project Manager: A project manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the projects of an organization or business. Project managers do not supervise everyday functions but rather take on projects that have specific beginning and end points. In doing so, they determine the best way to accomplish the goal of each project. They then manage the employees, time and resources involved in getting it done.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
Corporate Sustainability Manager:
- Construction: $61,415-$86,476
Energy Efficiency Finance Manager:
- Medical Device Manufacturing: $64,595-$142,950
- IT Consulting: $74,694-$108,176
- Financial Services: $73,915-$103,238
How Do I Find Online Environmental Management MBA Programs?
The best place to start looking for programs is to search out online Environmental Management MBA schools on the AACSB website. Rest your cursor over the “accreditation” tab and click on “accredited institutions” to browse a list of such schools worldwide. From here, you can start searching for online Environmental Management MBA programs. For rankings, check out:
- U.S. News & World Report
- Bloomberg Businessweek
- Financial Times
- The Economist
Macquil.com provides a useful top 10 list ranking the best online MBA programs that you can use as a reference. You can also explore the Online Education Database for a ranking of online schools based on metrics such as graduation and retention rates and student-to-faculty ratio.
3 thoughts on “Top 5 Online MBA Environmental Management Programs : Accredited Rankings”
This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.
Thanks a lot!
Hi, I wanted to know your price.